1976 Elk Point Municipal Hospital October 8th

BOARD OF TRUSTEES

Tom Belsheim ......................................................................................     Chairman

Max Borowsky. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..                   Vice-Chairman
Walter Pilisko. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..                  Trustee

Mike Kadutski .............................................................................................. Trustee

John Mohyliuk ............................................................................................. Trustee

Melvin Farina ............................................................................................... Trustee

Edwin Anderson. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..                Trustee

MEDICAL STAFF

  Dr. K.C. Miller .................................................................................. Chief of Staff

Dr. Bauld

Dr. Mokwe

Dr. David D. Didow ..... ; . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. Dentist

SENIOR STAFF

  Walter Saranchuk ............................................................................ Administrator

  Mrs. Audrey Willmer. . ........................................................... Director of Nursing

  Mrs. Elsie Oryschuk ................................................................. Senior Supervisor

ARCHITECTS  Groves & Hodgson

Marshall & Lee       General Contractors

Valere's Construction   Mechanical Contractor

K & D Electric          Electrical Contractor

 

Programme

Musical Selections: Kehewin All Girls Marching Band

O'Canada: United Church Girls Choir

Invocation: Rev Alan Miller

WELCOMAND INTRODUCTION OF GUESTS     Tom Belsheim, Chairman Board of Trustees

PRESENTATION     Mrs. Ruth Vogel      President Ladies' Auxiliary 

REMARKS  Mick Fluker  MLA St. Paul Constituency

                Dr. K.C. Miller    Chief of Medical Staff

Guest Speaker  The Honorable Gordon Miniely, Minister of Hospitals and Medical Care

Official Opening Dedication and Benediction Rev. Brian Hunter
God Save the Queen
Tour of the Building
Refreshments
 

History of the Elk Point Municipal Hospital

In December of 1923 Doctors F. G. Miller and A. G. Ross established the first hospital in Elk Point. The hospital itself was a shop purchased from resident and moved alongside the Doctor's residence. It was a mere  sixteen by twenty-four feet in size, a storey and a half. An addition of ten by sixteen feet was added on to the front of the structure. Patients  overflowed into the Doctor's residence. This structure operated until
No
vember of 1928 with an annual average of 250 to 300 patients admitted.

In the fall of 1927, a movement got underway to have a municipal hospital established under the provincial plan. The main support for this hospital was to come via a local taxation rate of three cents per acre. A vote taken on the matter received a two-thirds majority in favor.

As a result, Elk Point Municipal Hospital was built and opened for operation in 1928. The original four acres of land on which the structure was built was donated by Mr. C. J. Markstad. More land was purchased for later additions.

Although technically designed at a 15-bed capacity, the staff found it possible to handle 28 patients without too much overcrowding. Miss Signe Holter was the first matron with Miss Erna Hanna as assistant and operating nurse.

In 1938 a ten-bed addition was added on to the old unit, and in 1952 a twenty bed addition was added.

In September of 1976 Elk Point had a totally new Municipal Hospital as patients, staff, and equipment were transferred from the original structure to the new hospital complex.

Today, an ultra-modern hospital, planned and programmed to suit Elk Point and district present and future needs is ready to serve those who
require its use
.