Elk Points First Hospital
You are here» Elk Points First Hospital
ELK POINT'S FIRST HOSPITAL - was located east of our present day United Church and served the community well for a number of years
Elk Point's first hospital began operating in 1923. It was situated on the lot east of our present day United Church. It was privately ow-ned by Dr. F. G. Miller and Dr. A.G. Ross. This hospital consisted of a small office, an examining room, an operating room and a room that housed the X-Ray equipmemt. Two rooms on the second floor contained four to six beds with an additional two beds located downstairs.
During the summer a tent was set up behind the hospital and was used whenever the hospital was overcrowded. A small Delco power plant was located in a building near the hospital. It provided electricity to both the hospital and the doctor's home. In 1926 a fire destroyed the power plant and building. A bucket brigade manned by many volunteers narrowly saved the hospital from being destroyed.
TRAGEDY AVERTED - A bucket brigade saved Elk Point's first hospital when the adjacent power plant building caught fire.
The hospital staff was made up of two registered nurses as well as one under-graduate. Mrs. Cora Miller (Dr. F. G. Miller's wife), with the help of two ladies, made up the housecleaning staff. Mrs. Miller was also the anesthetist.
Some of the early nurses of this hospital were Miss Haugen, Miss Erna Hanna, Miss Fouracre and Miss Freeman.
This hospital closed its doors in 1928, at which time a new Municipal Hospital opened its doors in the west j part of Elk Point.
(Photos kindly submitted by Dr. K. C. Miller)