Dr. F. G. Miller was born at Owen Sound Ontario. December 29th, 1884. In 1904 he and his sister emigrated West arriving in Edmonton where they built a barge to carry their effects down the North Saskatchewan River to the Lea Park Ferry. From there they travelled to Vermilion where they homesteaded.
In 1912 Dr. Miller returned to the East to take a medical course at McGill University. From 1915 to 1917 he served in the Canadian Medical Corps in France. While overseas he and Dr. A. G. Ross made plans to practise together after the war. When the war ended Dr. Miller returned to McGill to complete his medical training. After his graduation he came to Vermilion to practise medicine with Dr. F. Day Smith. When he learned that the Elk Point District was badly in need of a doctor, he moved to this district with his wife, the former Miss Cora Emerson. He began his practise in Elk Point in July 1920. He was joined by Dr. Ross in July 1922 to begin their partnership which had been planned during the war years.
The first 15 years at least were truly pioneer ones. The doctors made calls as far east as the Saskatchewan border, soulh to Derwent and north east to Bonnyville and Cold Lake. In the winter a call to Cold Lake would take one of the doctors at least 3 days, by horse and sleigh. In summer the roads were barely passable with Model T Fords.
As a physician Dr. Miller had great compassion, inspired unwavering trust and was possessed of remarkable medical skill. The many patients who came from far beyond the boundaries of the Elk Point Municipal Hospital district for surgery is ample proof that he was an excellent diagnostician and surgeon.
As a citizen Dr. Miller was never too busy to give of himself to the many community projects of the district. Dr. Miller had a keen interest in sports. For many years he coached a High School Hockey Team. He was an active member of the Elk Point curling club from its beginning and he was an honorary member of the Alberta Curling Association. He was responsible for the first golf course and the present course. He was an avid football fan and on many occasions would drive to Edmonton on a Saturday night to a football game returning the same evening to be present the next morning for his Sunday School Senior class. These trips were made on gravel roads. He was vitally interested in the Elk Point United Church and served as superintendent of the Sunday School for many years.
The high standard of Education in Elk Point over the years is another result of Dr. Miller's dedication to a cause he deemed vital. He was chairman of the local board for many years. After the formation of the county school system he served as representative to the County Board. In recognition of his contribution to education in Elk Point. the High School was dedicated “F. G. Miller High School" in his honor.