EXCERPTS - ELK POINT HIGH SCHOOL NEWS - 1945
Chamber of Commerce
The Chamber of Commerce was re-organized in 1945. Mr. R.E. Beattie was elected President.
The present executive is -- President, Mr. R.E. Beattie; Vice-President, Mr. C. Nissen; Secretary, J.V. Jacobson.
The past accomplishments of the United Church Women's Auxiliary are raising funds by putting on teas, raffles, bazaars, etc. The ladies have their monthly meetings every first Monday of the month. They discuss different ways of raising funds for different organizations.
The present officers are: President, Mrs. C.A. Johnson; Vice-President, Mrs. A. Raham; Secretary, Mrs. H. Robertson.
The Elk Point Casket Association was begun on July 3, 1943. After considerable discussion, it was decided to get an association started. R. Hitchcock was elected president and A.A. Ham sec. treas.
Three Directors were elected; Leo Babcock for three years; Harry Smith for two years; H. Davies for one year.
Membership fees were set at $1.50 life and 50~ to be paid on the death of a member. A member is a head of the family and this will include all up to the age of twenty-one.
If a member dies, they are entitled to $40.00 funeral grant.
Directors: R. Flanders, L. Lambright, Leo Babcock. 103 members.
The first Mayor of Elk Point was Mr. Dave Nelson, who still resides in Elk Point and is Manager of the Imperial Lumber Company.
Mr. Carl Nissen now holds that position, with a seniority on the Council of five years. Deputy-Mayor Harry Rams-bottom with two years. Mike Bartosyk was recently elected.
Present aims are:
(a) To build a bridge over the creek on First Ave. West.
(b) Complete the grading of Main Street.
Last year they purchased an acre of land east of the Clinic for a park. A bridge was built on Second Ave. and a drainage system was constructed from the main road south to the C.N.R. tracks.
The Elk Point Catholic Women's Auxiliary was first organized in September, 1934, at Mrs. P. Keitges place. The first President was Mrs. E. McDonell and the secretary was Mrs. A. Bartling. They worked as an organization and raised money for church purposes. As a future organization, they are planning to raise money for church purposes and for the support of the priest. The present officers are not active but are appointed temporarily when occasions arise.
The Elk Point Credit Union was first organized in the year 1945. The first President was Mr. P. Petrosky. The Union operated successfully until February, 1948, when it was dissolved. Unless another Union is organized, we will have no Credit Union in Elk Point.
SOCIAL CREDIT GROUP
The President is Mr. F. Smith, Jr., and the Vice-President is O.S. Butner. The secretary is Mr. D. Butner. They have forty members and expect to get more. They succeeded in getting a Treasury Branch and a Justice of Peace in Elk Point. The Bailiff is Mr. D. Butner. The Social Group has helped to raise the Old Age Pension also.
The President of the Canadian Legion is Mr. B. Keller of Spring Park. The Vice-President is Mr. Hansen, and the secretary is Mr. E. McDonell. The Canadian Legion has built their new Legion Hall with the assistance of public subscriptions but, due to shortage of materials, they did not get it finished in the same year. The hall is now finished inside and been given a coat of stucco. Their present plans are to put a fence around the hall and plant a hedge. Flowers will also be planted and other kinds of shrubbery.
YOUNG PEOPLE'S CLUB
The Elk Point Young People's Club was organized in September, 1947, by Rev. Blackmore. The Executive consists of Vern Raham, president; Doreen Lindquist, secretary-treasurer; Gertrude Keck, vice-president. During the first week in October, 1947, the Young People's Club, under their leader, Rev. Blackmore, attended a Young People's Cavalcade at Vegreville.
The Wolf Cubs are now under the leadership of Mr. Vern Raham, who took over the leadership from Mr. C. Boos in 1947. The Cubs attended the ~'Sixer's Chin Wag" on November 23, 1947, at Edmonton.
The Sunday School is headed by Dr. F.G. Miller, who is the Superintendent. The Sunday School classes are held at the United Church, with classes beginning at 11 o'clock and ending at 12 noon. The teachers are Miss Gertrude Keck, beginners; Mrs. C.A. Johnson, primary; Mrs. L. Blackmore,junior; Mrs. N.B. Sumpton, intermediate; and Rev. W.N. Black-more, seniors.
On March 1, 1947, the first Cadet Corps No.214, St. John Ambulance Corps, was organized. Dr. F.G. Miller is the Cadet Surgeon, with Mr. J. Jacobson as Cadet Superintendent. Vern Raham is a Cadet Sergeant and Eugene Dembicki and Andrew Borutskj are the Corporals. There are twenty-three members in the Cadets.
On May 28, 1947, No.258 Nursing Cadet Division was organized. The officers are Dr. F.G. Miller, Cadet Surgeon; Mrs. L. Sumpton, Lady Cadet Surgeon; Mrs. L. Blackmore, Cadet
Officer; Muriel Ham, Cadet Sergeant; Joan Sumpton and Jean Morusyk, Cadet Corporals. Mr. Jacobson is the secretary of the Elk Point St. John Ambulance Centre. The Group Committee for the Cadet groups consists of the following: Dr. A. Weigerinck, president; Mr. A. Ham, vice-president; Mrs. N. Fenton, secretary; the other members are -- Mrs. F. Keitges, Mrs. L. Edwards, Mrs. L. Sumpton and Mr. A. Raham.