From 1808 when Fort George and Buckingham House were abandoned most of the activity in our area was people following the Carlton Trail from Edmonton to Winnipeg, or more specifically from Victoria Settlement to Frog Lake and on to North Battleford the headquarters of the North West Territories.
After the birth of the Province of Alberta in 1905, settlement really got started. The CPR railway came from North Battleford to Vermilion and on to Edmonton in 1905. The land survey was well enough along for quite a bit of land to open up.
We focused our pages here on the development and growth of the area right around Elk Point that started with the first early pioneers in 1905, then made another jump around 1911 followed by quite a bit of growth in the early 1920s.