ELK POINT - TIMELINE OF CHANGES
by Ron Onusko and Marvin Bjornstad
1800 Fur trading forts abandoned.
1817 Dog Rump House established at mouth of Dog Rump Creek, to serve as shipping depot for Moose Lake outpost of H.B.C.
1822 Dog Rump House abandoned.
1823 Hudson Bay Company and North West Company merge forming one company.
1829 Last remnants of Dog Rump House dismantled and floated downstream to help build new Fort Pitt.
1845 Much disputed territory south of North Saskatchewan River between Blackfoot and Cree leading to violence.
1857 Captain Palliser recommends opening Rupert's Land for settlement.
1862 Trail from Fort Pitt to St Paul widened for carts by Lac La Biche fathers to make fur traffic easier.
1862 Various travellers moving along trails to get to Klondike goldfields.
1864 John MacDougall widens early trail from Saddle Lake to Victoria Settlement.
1867 Early trail widened from Victoria Settlement to Fort Edmonton.
1870 Rupert's Land sold to Dominion of Canada; N.W.T. created.
1872 North West Territory Council formed to govern the west.
1874 Pioneer Telegraph line built from Winnipeg to Battleford to Hay Lake, and later to Fort Edmonton.
1874 NWMP arrive in the west headquartered in Fort Macleod and Fort Edmonton.
1881-1883 27,000,000 acres of land surveyed in N.W.T.
1884 Study recommends Pioneer Telegraph Line be moved to where people are at Saddle Lake and Victoria.
1885 Northwest Rebellion creates turmoil in nearby areas. Telegraph line is found to be very useful.
1886 Dominion Telegraph moved to cart track from Fort Pitt to Frog Lake to Moosewa to Saddle Lake to Victoria to Edmonton.
1896 Elk Point area resurveyed following Riel Rebellion
1896-1903 367,000 immigrants arrive in Canada from Europe
1904-1913 2,500,000 more immigrants arrive to settle Canada's prairies.
1905-1906 - Alberta becomes a province. First settlers arrive in Elk Point area.
1907 Hopkins ferry installed across North Saskatchewan River
1908 Post office and store opened at Hopkin's ferry, 4 miles west of present bridge site.
1909 Post office and store established in Elk Point on farm of Mr Hood, east of present Tempo Service Station. First official use of name Elk Point for the community. Elk Point School District established.
1910 Telegraph stations established at Frog Lake and E. Boyd residence 3 miles west of Elk Point. Valentine store and Post Office at Hopkin's crossing burns down. First rural school built near Elk Point
1911 First classes held in new school. Lindbergh ferry installed.
1912 First telephone line built to Elk Point. Elk Point Agricultural Society hold first fair. Johnson Brothers store built.
1913 Telephone service begins from Hoodâs store. Ferry installed south of Elk Point at present bridge site. Mail carrier connects Vermilion and Elk Point
1914-18 World War I.
1915 Hopkins ferry swept downriver and lost
1917 First Hotel built in Elk Point
1919 First bank (Bank of Commerce) built in Elk Point.
1920 First Drug store opened. First doctor settled in Elk Point (Dr FG Miller).
1921 First telegraph office in Elk Point. Radio messages and songs transmitted from Elk Point
1922 Fire destroys several of Elk Pointâs early businesses. AG Ross joins Dr Millerâs practise.
1923 First hopital established by Dr Miller and Dr Ross. First electrical power plant, used for hospital.
1927 CNR reaches Elk Point. Alberta Hotel built near railroad. New Townsite begins to develop; most remaining stroes from old townsite moved. Power plant built to service hospital and village of Elk Point.
1928 Post Office moved to new townsite of Elk Point. First Municipal hospital started construction. First Boy Scout Troop and Girl Guide company organized. Alberta Wheat Pool elevator built. Town school built. Blacksmith shop opened
1930 First clothing store opened.
1938 Elk Point becomes a village with its own council. Hospital expanded.
1939 Main street gravelled, street lights installed.
1939-1945 World War II
1940 Milk deliveries made to homes. First curling rink built
1943 First highway built between Elk Point and St. Paul.
1945 Arrow Theatre opened.
1946 Medical clinic opened.
1947 Town library started Toronto Dominion Bank branch opened
1948 Elk Point Gas Ltd. began installation of natural gas service.
1949 Bridge built to replace Elk Point ferry, officially opened June 1950. First bus service between Elk Point and Edmonton (Greyhound Buslines).
1951 Water and sewage systems began. Highways completed including Vermilion, Elk Point, and St. Paul. New high school built (later FCSS building)
1957 New Elementary School finished.
1958 Liquor store opened.
1961 New curling rink, Elks Hall, F.G. Miller High School built.
1962 Elk Point becomes a town. Elk Point Motel built (now Pizza shop). County of St Paul established.
1967 New town office and library built with Centennial grant aid. Water reservoir and water treatment plant built.
1968 New RCMP detachment openned. New bakery openned.
1972 Streets paved.
1973 AG Ross Agriplex arena built.
1975 New drug store built, doctors office opened. Fort George Motel built. RCMP Detachment opened
1976 Buckingham House senior citizens home opened. New municipal hospital built, old one demolished
1977 New Co-op grocery supermarket opened.
1981-82 Elementary School expanded to include music room, library, ECS, resourse rooms
1983 New Alberta Wheat Pool high capacity elevator west of town
1984 New apartment block (33 suites). Motel expanded. Several oil company offices and service industries built. Several new restaurant, gas bar, clothing and other businesses
1985 New high-span open bridge finished, old bridge moved and dismantled. New Alico Motel and Restaurant opened.
1988-89 Elementary school renovated and expanded, gym enlarged.
1992 BiCentennial (200 years) celebrated